Monday, January 24, 2011

Living for the Long Haul!

This morning I am pondering a principle that has become my mantra over the years. If you play now, you will certainly pay later, but if you pay now, you will be able to play later. This principle is one that is easy to say and much harder to live. First, I believe this principle should cause us to look at the real long haul of eternity. There is only one way to spend eternity in heaven with God and that is by receiving and declaring the Lordship of Jesus while we are here on this earth. No other decision weighs heavier on our future than the decision to live for Jesus and carry out His plans and purposes on the earth. To prepare for one's "future" without preparing for eternity is the most foolish of all priorities. One of the greatest privileges that I enjoy is the amazing opportunity and responsibility that I have to provide for my family. As my kids get older, I get increasing joy from providing resources and opportunities to them and training them according to their personality and "bent". What a shame it would be for me to attempt to "pad my retirement" and neglect the legacy that God has given me in my three children. I will be a "rich" man as my kids follow God and walk in their individual destinies. In life and ministry, the "sow" always comes before the "reap". In relationships there is always a tremendous investment of time before there can be trust or loyalty. As a church in a rural community, we continue to love and invest in our community as people slowly take note of our stability and consistency. If Jesus tarries, we continue to build strong foundations for God to use for His Kingdom for years to come. Seasons of reaping always encourage us and inspire us, but it is the seasons of building and sacrifice that ensure that "harvest" is on it's way. So many in our generation seem to be looking for the quick fix, instant viral fame, and microwave success. While there may be those who "hit the lottery" of success, the majority of those who live a blessed life do so because they have invested much and made solid decisions over a long period of time. Some have said, "it's not how you start, but how you finish" I contend that you cannot finish strong without a strong start. But if you don't finish the race, your strong start will not matter at all. So learn from the past, work hard in the present, and plan for the future at every turn. Put God first and Live for the Long Haul. Eternity will prove who was wise and who was a fool!

No comments: